Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Doing (multiple) MOOCs + Multiliteracies

I am currently registered in and trying to follow one online workshop and two MOOCs. Vance Stevens, who is conducting the online workshop, (TESOL's EVO or Electronic Village Online Multiliteracies , responded that he was considering designating Multiliteracies a MOOC or Miniscule Open Online Course. Comparing the courses, finding connections, is as much my goal and ongoing blog topic as surviving the experience without my head exploding. 

All three are populated with repeaters. The light finally went on. Since these are networks are part of my immediate (maybe longterm) learning network, I should draw on them, ask who else is in multiple open courses and how they handle them, navigate the chaos. What strategies, tools, practices, tips can they (YOU) share?  

 Hi there ~ I know a number of evomlit-ers (or however we designate ourselves) are taking one or more concurrent MOOCs, in addition to Multiliteracies?

I've been wondering:

  • Which courses and why?
  • How you are handling the courses and connecting them?
  • What are your impressions are so far?
There may be more but these are the ones I know about:
I passed on Storytelling but add it to the list here because it would interest other Multiliteracies participants, some of whom are taking the online EVO Storytelling workshop. 

FYI ~ about Massive Open Online Courses from Useful.Info, the blog… aka Digital Worlds uncourse blog, self-described as "trying to find useful things to do with emerging technologies in open education"

So far, Jennifer Verschoor answered my call, 

"I would like to add another course, one on Mobile learning at http://www.seeta.eu/ that seems to be very interesting. It is only one week long and started one day ago. 

Personally, I would choose the course that best fits my teaching objectives. I know what it means to manage information overload and at the end I feel as though I haven´t done not even one single course. Many teachers in my country still prefer the f2f Professional development courses. As a teacher trainer in an under developed country I find a lot of resistance from teachers to become constant learners."

I replied, 

Local educators, primarily ~ K-12 ~ prefer f2f too. Now though, the school district can't afford the send teachers to courses and bring in lecturers for professional development half-days at the school ~ same presentation for all levels and subjects.

Your comment gives me an idea that combines multiliteracies, education and community networking. The district could put together an online professional development option using existing online courses. I'm interested in self-regulated learning and its application in rural communities with limited choices and access to f2f options. I'm trying to study how MOOCs are put together and operate while learning how to take the courses. Connectivism and multiliteracies are a natural fit. Welcome to the EduMultiplex... 

The learning analytics course is probably the least related but analytics are a huge part of the whole standards movement - testing, course design, assessment. teacher accountability, etc. Analytics is data and counting based ~ the heart of accountability. The better teachers understand learning or academic analytics and EDM (education data mining), the more informed their opinions on it application with be and the better equipped they are to demand a say in how data is collected, interpreted and applied.

Can MOOC and other online courses be made more user friendly and appealing for the resistant without losing their essential character? More to the point, how can potentially resistant online learner be readied for the sometime free fall experience of self-regulated learning, whether certification, GED, tutorials, advanced placement, continuing education or professional development,?
Posted via email from Mooking About

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...